Monday, June 30, 2008

Impressions of Kyoto

"Kyoto has impressed me by giving me the ability to see the mixture of tradition with modern structures by being able to walk down the street and see a modern building next to a shrine or temple." ~ Lisa Westerfield

"I've been impressed with the knowledge of our group of teachers and the comments and questions asked at each site to help me understand what I am seeing. In the Teramachi mall, the teenage mall experience mixed with the shrine from the 1500s surprised me because the two meshed and after awhile it seemed natural that shoppers go into the shrines along their way." ~ Maggie Engman

"There is a shrine on every corner. We are seeing a true mix of Shinto and Buddhism and it is hard to sort out where one starts and another begins. In the department stores, restaurants, the inn, everywhere, we were treated like queens. The teenage fashion is cutting-edge." ~ Becky Smith

No comments: